Thursday, May 2, 2013

Every Day in May: Day 2—A favorite sound


Living on the waterfront in Portland Maine, the sounds of the gulls awaken me in the morning as they swoop around the buildings and chase the lobster boats out of the harbor. They perch on the hotel next door watching and waiting and soon there will be baby gulls. 

I watch as they build a nest precariously perched on the slanted roof and stand guard until the chicks are born. The mother gull walks the furry chicks into the shade everyday and then back to the nest at night. When they are ready fly there is a lot of rolling off the roof. I'm never quite sure who makes it...

8 comments:

Unknown said...

The black headed ones we have in NJ sound like they're laughing

laura said...

I see lots of seagulls here on the Delaware, but I don't think I've ever seen a baby! I'll be on the lookout for one now.

ana said...

We were throwing at fault your paintings, beautiful gulls, although I like more the oil to watercolor, but thanks for sharing. A hug

Melliott said...

Love this. The village is dwarfed by the presence of the gulls!

Rian said...

I love seagulls... always have and don't know why. I took some pictures while in Alaska recently of huge gulls... bigger than the ones on the gulf coast. I hope to do some watercolors of them too. Love your work!

Melliott said...

What happened to May 3-19? I was looking forward to your May art!

TJ said...

I like the fingerless gloves and the latte maker!!!!

Liam Gaines said...

Thanks for sharingg this