Monday, December 13, 2010

Washington DC—Day 1

I had never been to Washington DC until last week when Jerry was attending a sustainability conference so off I went to our nations capitol. I arrived on Sunday and by Monday morning when I headed to the Smithsonian Mall a cold north wind had arrived and with the windchill it was 0°.

After figuring out the Metro system where many people are sound asleep, I was off to experience the Smithsonian. It was so brutally cold that most of the famous outdoor sights were a quick walk by.

Sketching at the fabulous and most interesting Museum of Natural History.

After hours at the Museum of Natural History I faced the cold and headed off to The National Gallery.

At the end of the day, a quick sketch at the National Gallery before finding my way back to the Metro station.

On the Metro back to the hotel in Crystal City, Arlington Virginia.

All these sketches were done in a 5" x 5" Hand•Book journal that I have had for quite awhile and grabbed as I walked out the door in Maine. The paper is a dingy off-white, quite thin and buckled when I added paint. Not my first choice, but good enough for this sight-seeing event.

13 comments:

jill said...

Ooh these are great, wonderful sketches

Sandy in Michigan said...

You've done a wonderful job on the dinosaurs and the layout of the pages. I always look forward to seeing your name on a post and I make a point of setting aside some time to really enjoy your sketches.

_Frankb10 said...

These are great Jennifer, I specially like the painting of the paintings!

Linda T said...

Awesome sketches. I love DC and your comment about people sleeping on the metro was hilarious.

A Brush with Color said...

Oh, I love DC, and your sketches are, as always, Jennifer, beautiful representations of where you were. I really love those gallery images--is that a Modigliani you were showing us, and I think I saw a Matisse? Awesome! Hope you had fun, despite the bitter temps.

Cathy Holtom said...

You got some great sketches done despite the paper in your sketchbook, the dinosaurs are really good!

Unknown said...

I have that sketchbook (don't like it) and I think you've done a marvelous job of working with that paper. These are excellent.

Sandra Busby said...

I admire anyone who sketches in public! These are so good - I especially like the little pictures on the wall of the national gallery! :0)

donnamcm said...

Oh Jen, these are great, especially the Modigliani and museum sketch. What a great place to spend some time.

Unknown said...

Amazing sketches. I love how you have done the dinosaurs!

Margaret Ann said...

That sketchbook may not have been your first choice...but stopping by here and peeking in on your work is always my first choice...Wonderful work...as always.

And, my! You certainly DO get around girl! LOL :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful sketches! I applaud you for taking the time to do these. The cold freezes my brain so that I can't do anything else. When I lived in PA and was going to art school, we would frequently go to DC and I loved the National Gallery. We didn't have any money so eating was an adventure, but being in there with all those masterpieces was food enough for me.

HeartFire said...

Love this posting of sketches, esp, the dinosaurs!