Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Last portrait class study

22" x 30" graphic stick

I have been a little under the weather lately and didn't have much energy for the last portrait class I took this fall quarter. Two models seemed daunting.

I had just been to The National Gallery in Washington DC where I had spent time looking at the work of Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec. He was masterly at capturing groups of people and crowd scenes in which the figures are highly individualized. So with these two models I tried to achieve that feeling. They were actually sitting further apart with space in between them but I decided to draw them closer together. I liked the way his light skin profile worked against her dark skin.

14 comments:

jgr said...

Wonderful sketch! Your line work is great and it does have a Toulouse-Lautrec feeling about it. Oh, such inspiration! I hope you're feeling better too.

sue said...

Oh, Jennifer, these are powerful! Love these two. Hope you are rallying and feeling better--in time for the new year dawning! Really lovely work--I like the strong vertical lines in the background as well.

Barbara B said...

Very, very nice sketches. You have given her face such lovely contours.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful graphoc stick work Jennifer!
Ronell

Dan Kent said...

I love this. Honestly, it does look like a T-L drawing. It looks like an etching. So well done.

Mari Brown and Colourblob said...

Love it, great lines and I like the models (I always like when they are not the typical size or look, but rather intresting and unique). Well Done!!

Unknown said...

Happy New Year to you, Jennifer! Thanks for all the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I think this is one of my all-time favorites of yours, Jennifer! Beautiful lines that vary and are so expressive!! Wonderful! Happy New Year to you!

dana said...

WOW. your best work in my opinion.

Unknown said...

I love the looseness of this sketch. Very nice!

martha miller said...

Hi Jennifer!

Fun to see your beautiful work on-line! This last drawing of yours is simply a stunner. I hope that you are feeling better - it was great to have you in my class!Happy New Year!


All BEST!
Martha

Margaret Ann said...

A beautiful sensitive study...well done! Your talent runs deep. :)

Tahirih Goffic said...

A great sketch! I do see a bit of Tolousse Lautrec inspiration there, too.

Janene said...

I like this a lot too! The juxtaposition adds much.