Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Exercise and other weekend activities


The temperature shot up to 55° this weekend, so I couldn't face the gym. Sophie and I walked 8 miles on the beach with a good friend on Saturday and on Sunday we ran five miles. It was great to get outside.

Sophie likes to stop a lot. There are things a dog just has to do. Then there are the times she doesn't want to go any further. We have learned to compromise. When she stops I will do lunges and when she won't go any further I pick her up and do walking lunges. You do what you got to do. We must be quite a sight!

Cold again and it was early so I was back at the gym. As I was lifting weights, a man came up to me and asked what I was training for? I looked at him and said "life, I guess". Yes, that's it, for my life. Sometimes I just don't want to do it (and sometimes I don't), but usually I do something everyday, because it is for life.

In between exercising in the gym and walking and running outdoors this weekend, I made these watercolor sketchbooks. Two were made from recycled books that I got a the "Dumptique" and three I made the hard cases. Thanks to Jana Bouc of JanasJournal and Shirley Levine of Paper and Threads for their informative posts and this $15 DVD that Kate had recommended to Jana: Bookbinding: A Traditional Technique, the handmade journal mystery has been solved. All were made with various watercolor papers and decorative papers that I already had, so I just needed a few bookbinding tools. It's actually quite fun and very satisfying. Also, a little addictive as you can see.

22 comments:

shirley said...

Those watercolor journals are gorgeous!!

jgr said...

Yes, the journals are great! very professional!
Also - congrats on all of your exercise. I really enjoy your sketches.

nanke's stuff said...

I so admire your tenacity with your exercise routine! For me it's a struggle to maintain. Your sketches and are, as always, wonderful, and your books are super! nancy

Louise said...

Wonderful watercolours. The paintings are so lively- and convey the 'exercise' theme with appropriate energy.And gosh, those books are something to feel proud of. They look immaculately crafted!

Kathy A. Johnson said...

Very cool books--I'll bet that gave you a lot of satisfaction. And it's great you've made regular workouts part of your routine. When I'm sick and tired of working out, I remind myself that I hope to be strong and mobile when I'm 80, and I won't be if I don't keep up the good habits.

Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

LOVE these, Jennifer...inspiring, too, though I don't go to a gym.

OH isn't journal making addictive?! I'm feeling the need, again, though I've still got 2 1/2 empty ones! Yours are gorgeous...

Ann said...

I love your watercolor sketches, especially seeing Sophie again in your work, so delightful! Your journals are beautiful!

BARBARA WEEKS said...

Impressive – the exercise, the sketches and the new journals!

Janene said...

I love your expressive, colorful sketches, and am feeling inspired about the hand made journals--maybe someday...

Ramona Davidson said...

Congrats that you got out of the house at one day and that you have a wonderful set of watercolor books to use now. I really like your style of art. It's cool.

Anonymous said...

Lovely, lively sketches! The one carrying Sophie is just precious.

Jana Bouc said...

Wow Jennifer! These look so beautiful and very professional. I love the titles of the books you used to rebind! I'm so glad my research helped. I'm binding two books this weekend and hope they come out half as nicely as yours!

Dan Kent said...

To life!! You must be mighty healthy - man, I have to start jogging again. Love the sketches -= especially at the gym. I can feeel the burn...

Lesley Purcell said...

I love your lively watercolours - you really do have your own style, though this set of pictures have made me feel like a very lazy girl!

Donnamcm said...

These are just wonderful Jen, especially at the gym. I think the guy was probably just hitting on you. Anyway the sketchbooks look great too--know you will enjoy them.

(Loved catching up on the phone last weekend)

Dragana Savkov - Bajić said...

Your sketches are amazing! I absolutely adore your blog!

A Brush with Color said...

wonderful paintings, and the journals look great. I love the sizes of them. I need to try to make some of my own--I like having the papers I choose in a journal. Great job, Jennifer.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. You're compositions are really wonderful and make the viewer feel like they are right there in the picture. I feel the same way about mountain biking as you do about exercising. I don't race or do anything competitive, but I NEED to bike. For life. :)

caseytoussaint said...

Wow, you certainly get a lot done! I skipped my gym session today and I'm feeling sort of inadequate now...
I always love seeing your sketches - it's been too long since I stopped by your blog.

bettyfromtexas said...

Thank you for the excellent journal-making information. I have ordered the cd, and I am determined to start making my own as well!!

Your sketches are a wonderful complement to those beautiful books!

Sandy said...

Well like Betty I have ordered the CD - I have to make my own to make myself happy I guess. Your sketches are so inspiring - and now your Journal making as well!

Margaret Ann said...

You continue to amaze...your art...your zest and energy...your spirit.

Fabulous perspectives in your sketches...so real and full of life!