Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Jacqueline upside down

I recently visited Joanne's Journey into Art and read her post about working upside down and saw her amazing watercolor painted with the reference image upside down. I had also seen the talented Andrea Joseph do this exercise. My curiosity finally got the best of me. So last night as the rain pelted against the windows I sat in front of the fire and tried it. I turned an old black and white photo of my mom circa the 1940's and quickly sketched with a pencil on a cream colored textured paper. It actually looks like her (and a little like Betty Crocker). Great fun exercise that I will continue to explore.

8 comments:

Kathy A. Johnson said...

Great drawing! I've tried that exercise once before and found it quite amazing to see the finished product. Thanks for sharing.

martinepittet said...

Wonderful ! I may try it some day as I am not really convinced I could do a portrait as good as yours !

nanke's stuff said...

Very nice - your mom would love it, I'm sure!

Joanne said...

You did a great job!

Johanna said...

Well done! I too have done a similar exercise before, and I am always amazed at the way it forces me to see in a different way that makes the end result look very differend and often better. Thanks for the inspiration to try this again. Your portrait of your mum is excellent!

judy said...

beautiful job! I remember hearing about this exercise in art school -- I'm got to try it!

Margaret Ann said...

Love the texture of the paper showing through the drawing...Beautiful! :)

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

This is very cool. It came out great. Thanks for the nod. And, isn't this a really fun excercise?