Sunday, August 9, 2009

Cruising the Penobscot Bay

Our sail started with a little set back of very serious engine trouble. We spent the first night on the mooring in Rockland Harbor.

Our friend Ben sings the blues.

While the engine got repaired, we decide to take the ferry to Monhegan Island for the day. A sunny warm day of hiking, enjoying the spectacular views and wandering through galleries.

Lunch at the waters edge looking from Monhegan to Manana Island.

Finally underway we spent our first night at the Barred Islands. The fog had settled in that day and the subtle colors were wonderful to paint.

10 comments:

Shirley said...

All of these paintings are wonderful! And it is so interesting to mentally compare them to the other part of your life in Bali.

Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

Oh my LORD you make me want to go back to Maine! I've been at most of those places, though only got to see Monhegan at a distance. Just lovely Jennifer, you really captured it.

nanke's stuff said...

Beautiful bay, and lovely paintings! nancy

Linda T said...

These are terrific watercolor sketches.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, you have made me homesick for Maine and Monhegan. Once, before I die (I'm 78), I would love to go back to Monhegan where I spent two vacations, drawing and sketching. Your watercolors have the touch of a master. Truly beautiful.
Joan Smith
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joangillmansmith/

Sandy said...

Gorgeous Jennifer - I love the granulation in that foggy land/seascape. You got the best week of the summer so far.

Margaret Ann said...

Imagining the blues being sung...Ahhhh...a lovely series! :)

Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

Oh wow! You have been busy! I love all these. but the third one down really sings.

Anonymous said...

Grea skehes all, but I LOVE the sketch of your friend Ben!
ronell

Suma CM said...

Gorgeous work, I love how you've used the medium to advantage.