Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Charles Reid workshop—Day 2

Charles critiqued our work from yesterday and then spent the rest of the morning painting the model as we watched and listened. His talent is awesome, his knowledge is extensive and he is comfortable talking through his process and decisions as he paints for his audience. However, once in a while he just wants to paint and he lets us know of those moments so we quietly watch as he makes the magic happen. He is incredibly talented, yet humble of his talent and along with a great sense of humor he makes a wonderful teacher. If you ever have a chance to take one of his workshops, I highly recommend it.

Charles' painting from the morning.

My first of two paintings from the afternoon session.

My second painting from the afternoon session. To mix it up and challenge myself, I decided to try a head study. This was quite hard and extremely frustrating as I had to reinstate more than I would have liked. I'm not wild about the result.

This is Annelien's first painting from the afternoon session. She forbid me to post the second one even though it was fab!

Tomorrow starts two days of still life painting.

3 comments:

laura said...

Your paintings are beautiful, Jennifer--your paint-handling is wonderful.
I especially love the skirt in the top one ... so lightly handled.
(I'm signed up for a CR workshop--but not until 9/2010!)

Unknown said...

How fabulous for you to be a part of his workshop. He's such an amazing artist, and an inspiration to us all!
Thank you for sharing your experience. I love your paintings!

Aarti Harish said...

There's magic in your hands...wonderful neat work...I just loved the way the colors just flow into your art...I loved your profile art as well..!!